Last Night's Dream

Monday, November 1, 2010

By: Pulitz Lertamornthep

A dream is a dream no matter how you wish it to become true, and they are meant to stay that way. Dreams may show you the embodiment of your precious desires, but at the same time it can also show you the embodiment of your gravest fears. No human is without desires or fears, therefore all humans have dreams…

A clear bright flash of white light travelled the sky, even though it was still morning it could be seen clearly as if it was night. That marked the starting point of all the events that followed.
That morning, I was running late for school and thinking of a way that may help me in getting to school on time. While running I thought, ‘I just wished those worm holes in my dreams were real…’ Just as I was about to drop thoughts to think of an excuse for being late, bright white lights blinded my eyes. ‘Whoa! What was that?!’ Waiting for my vision to return, I hear the voice of the school’s disciplinary president, “What are you doing standing there! I’m going to close the school gates now, if you insist in standing there.” ‘Whaa... I must be hearing things,’ my vision returns, ‘then, I must be hallucinating, too.’ I stand besides the school’s wall, near the front gate of the school. “I’m warning you, this is not a joke, you ARE late, and I AM closing the gates.” Without time to thinks things further, I quickly ran for the closing gates and before I know it I’m in my homeroom on time.
Time flew by, as I dazed over how I got to school, nearly through my first period classes, until… CRACK! Right in front of my eyes, a student, often referred to be the trouble student of the class, snapped the table in front of him with his bare fist. Some classmates shrieked at the sight, while others just turned around and stared stunningly at the scene. Moments before, while I was in a daze, I have heard the teacher utter some warnings at the student, which may have ticked the student off in some way, but in front of my eyes was a scene beyond what my mind could comprehend. The table top, though wooden, the structure of the table was made out of metal, where even those were bent in half. The student, whom snapped the table in half, laughed excitedly, “Hahahahaa… So that wasn’t a dream after all, I do have the superhuman strength, given to me by the Gods.” Moving up to the teacher and punched the blackboard, he shattered the blackboard and created a hole, challenging the teacher, “Hahahahaha, teacher do you want some of this? Huh?” At that moment, our class self-proclaimed defender of justice stood up to the delinquent, like a hero in any cartoon, brought the delinquent down to his knees, proclaiming, “If your dreams held true, then so must mind to stop you evil doers.” ‘Dreams… is that so,’ I thought. From the commotion, I slipped out of class, pretending to be hysterical. I wanted to check something out, so I quickly dashed to the area behind the gymnasium.
I tried imagining several fantastical stuffs over the top of my head, things that I wanted come true, but nothing appeared except for the worm hole that was able to bring me almost anywhere. ‘Though the worm hole is shocking enough, what was the condition for it appearing? Because I saw it in last night’s dream?’ Having thought of that I tried remembering the dream I had last night. Only bits and pieces, came to mind. ‘Well… it is only obvious, we have dreams every night. We just don’t remember most of them.’ “Ah!” I recalled dreaming something about fire. At that moment, my hands were set ablaze. ‘Whoa!’ I thought, and then calming myself down the next moment, ‘Can’t have myself shocked at everything that happens, now can I. Hmm… and yes not only fire… magic?’ I tried to imagine, from what I remember of my dreams. There the wind danced as I command, water floated in mid-air, and earth flipped. Then I thought, ‘Why in the world would I need magic? Unless…’ My head hurts as if trying to forget something that had happened, the reason why I overslept this morning… ‘If anything that was dreamed of last night could be made reality, then…’ Before I can cut back my thoughts, shadows loomed the skies and I can hear chaos coming from inside the school, as everyone started to realize what they are now able to do. And as I turn around… I am faced with my gravest fear.
There was once I time I had wished dearly for all my dreams to become true, but now… after all that have happened, I am starting to have second thoughts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment